Topband: MFJ noise canceller

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: MFJ noise canceller
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:32:36 +0000
I purchased a MFJ noise canceller at Dayton this past year.  I haven't
played with it much, but my first impression was a substantial reduction in
s/n ratio with the signal going through the thing.  It would pick up strong
signals, and using two antennas I could get a good null,  but I think a weak
  signal would be totally  lost in the background noise.

I haven't tried inserting mine between my external preamp and receiver, but
I would have thought the built-in amplifier amplifier stage would have
better performance than that.  Is this normal with this unit, or maybe
something is wrong with mine?

I haven't taken much time with it, but the annual power line malfunctions
have started.  I don't know if it's Murphy's Law or maybe the cooler
temperatures, but every year, precisely when the atmospheric QRN goes away,
the power lines here start acting up.  This year I had about a two-week
window of good receiving before the line noise began.  Hopefully the MFJ
unit will provide some relief.

Don K4KYV