Topband: shunt fed short tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: shunt fed short tower
From: ku7i@hotmail.com (Lane Zeitler)
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:25:28 -0800
First, thanks to all of you who replied to my question abt the end fed 160
1/2 wave.

My next question: I have a 33 foot US Tower. It is 33 ft when fully
extended. I am in the process of installing a Lightning Bolt 4 element quad
at the top. The boom will be 35 ft above ground and it 24 ft long. Is this a
possible candidate for a 'short' shunt fed 160 mtr ant? Will the 24 foot 3
inch boom offer much capacitive loading? I understand that there are several
ways to get this to play. I was looking at the tri-wire unipole model in the
1988 Hand book where two wire are dropped either side of the center tower,
one if fed with coax against ground and the other is attached to variable
cap at the end and tuned against ground.

there is the option of conventional shunt feed. Much simpler. but how far up
the tower do I tap the shunt???

I have the remnants of an old HF6V vertical that would allow me to extend
the overall height of the tower another 26 feet if I add this to the top of
the tower. this would be added to the 2 inch pipe that sits in the rotor.
This would give total of 55 feet. the 4 ele quad would still sit at the 35
ft level.

Ideas welcome.

Lane
Ku7i