Topband: Re: Yaesu FT1000mp Mark V Key Clicks

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Yaesu FT1000mp Mark V Key Clicks
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:20:02 -0500
> Some of the spurious or multiple freq transmissions may in fact be
> caused by stations that do not adequately disable or disconnect their
> receive antennas (beverages etc) and RF getting back into the
> "unprotected or active" RX port can be the problem..  One sure test is
> to have a nearby station listen to your signal with and without your
> receive antennas connected.  de gary, kd9sv -

That's only a starting point, but most important it isn't a sure test
and it isn't the only common cause.

Another common cause is using an amplifier with high gain tubes
oscillating below the AM BC band!!! I've seen this several times. One
station near me had that problem over and over again with his
amplifier

There really isn't a sure test, sometimes it takes weeks or months of
operation for a problem to show. That may be part of the problem.

The real problem is people who, year after year, have a wide clicky
signal. One fellow I know won't fix his radio, because he claims it
keeps people off his frequency.

Anyway, we have a problem when VK's start complain about USA signals.
Perhaps DQing a few of the nastiest signals would change some
attitudes.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com