Topband: K9AY Loop Revisited

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY Loop Revisited
From: kr6c@juno.com (kr6c@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:58:08 -0800
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:26:00 -0600 "Greg Deuhs" <deuhs@earthlink.net>
writes:

> Hello All:
>
> I broke down and ordered a K9AY loop kit from Array Solutions today.
> I know
> there has been some discussion lately on receiving antennas,
> but I'm looking for any helpful tips.  I did order the fiberglass
> mast, so
> the metal mast ? is solved.

I installed one for the ARRL 160 and used a metal mast with a 5' PVC
section attached to the top.
It appeared to work fine.
======================================>
> 1.  Can I use high quality RG-58?  The coax run will be about 150
> feet. My gut feel is yes (low loss at 1.8/3.5 mHz), but does it lack
the
> proper shielding for anti-noise pick-up?

Mine uses about 100' of rg-316 and no problem with signal
How you route it will have a big effect on noise pickup. Of course, use
good coax..not RS stuff.
=======================================

> 2.  What's preferred, being all things somewhat equal.  Mounting the
> antenna
> 40+ feet from an overhead powerline (house drop -- 22 foot high mast
> +
> safety factor) or mounting farther away from the power line, but
> closer to
> my Hy-tower? (I run 150 watts).

Tuff call. I think you would want to get it away from the power lines
first.
I ran 100W all weekend and the NE loop pointed right into my antenna with
a 15' spacing. No problem.
In fact, that was the quietest direction.  I did notice the SWR on the
xmit antenna went up.

========================================>
> 3. What's the final verdict on the RX antenna jack on the FT-1000MP
> MK5?  Is > it safe to use or is a separate switch box needed?

I have mine connected that way, didnt seem to be a problem.

> 4. What type of ground does the K9AY loop need?  The installation
> manual
> says 4 or more 10 foot ground radials will help, other K9AY loop
> articles
> I've read says ground loss is part of why the antenna works.
>
> Any help appreciated.  BTW, something must be working here, I worked
> my
> first VK on topband two weeks ago using my Hy-tower with the MK-160
> inverted
> L adaptor.

I pounded a 4' piece of 1/2" copper pipe in the ground and attached the
switch box to that.
Nothing else. Seemed to work well.