Topband: Rx antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Rx antennas
From: k9ay@k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:23:46 -0600
HOw important is FRONT END protection of transceiver receiver

I am using KW + on Top Band and about to install some pennants about 120 ft
from transmit antenna

Josh n7xm   high desert of Nevada
----

Josh...my experience:

Antenna 1 -- K9AY loops located about 150 feet from the TX inverted-L -- no
problem from excessive RF.

Antenna 2 -- Short 300 ft. Beverage that runs 30 feet beyond (and 45 feet
below) the horizontal end of the inv-L -- serious RF disruption of my IC765
when using 1.5 kW! I made a relay box to disconnect it during transmit.

>From another K9AY loop user -- Loops located about 60 feet from the TX
antenna, adjacent to, or on, the radial system -- RF problems at 500W. I
just sent him a relay box like the one I made for myself.

The combination of distance and efficiency of coupling determine the level
of RF picked up by the RX antenna (and its feedline). Almost any RX antenna
within the radial system will be a problem; most simply require the ultimate
test -- bring up the power step-by-step and see if there is a problem!

73, Gary
K9AY