Topband: Propagation Question Summary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Propagation Question Summary
From: w7iuv@arrl.net (Larry Molitor)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:41:08 +0000
The responses I received to my question about skew paths were quite varied.
The answers to "how often" ranged from "almost never" to "almost always".
The answers to "how much" ranged from "slightly" to over 90°. I attribute
the wide range of answers to the wide geographical spread of those responding.

Most recommended, either by direct advice or by example, using a wide
spread of "mediocre" RX antennas rather than one or two very good RX antennas.

It's not good practice to form conclusions from as little data as I have,
but I'm going to stick my neck out and generalize a couple of points
anyway. If I'm way off base, I hope somebody jumps in with better info.

Direct paths which skirt the edge of the Auroral zone are most affected
with both the occurrence and amount of skew more or less proportional to
the level of Auroral activity.

Direct paths which are very close to the north magnetic pole (center of
Auroral zone) are likely to just disappear (absorption?) rather than skew
with Auroral activity. Perhaps there is a skew, but the skewed signals are
just too weak to be heard under normal RX conditions.

Hopefully I'll be operational again next season and can contribute my own
observations.

73,

Larry - W7IUV