Topband: Skew

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Skew
From: jbattin@msn.com (jbattin)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:31:54 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "gary nichols (by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)"
<kd9sv@comcast.net>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: Topband: Skew

> At last...a theory that makes sense, but seriously, I have also seen
> numerous times in the past 13 years (since I have had beverages) that a
> signal would be nearly the same on any of my receive antennas.  On the
other
> hand, there are times when even very strong signals could be heard on only
> one antenna and completely gone on all the others...de gary, kd9sv

 With an omni directional antenna on the transmitter, there may be several
paths that are as good or better than what we call the "short" path, when we
are talking about signals that originate from almost on the other side of
the earth.  I do not think it takes a bending of the signal or anything very
complicated; the situation is that there are many times when the lowest loss
path is not the shortest path. Some cases of signals arriving from several
directions may be explained by high angles, but I believe most cases occur
when there are just several paths of equal attenuation. When I hear signals
coming from several directions, it usually effects both my higher and lower
angle antennas.