Topband: XZ0A 160 M Skew Path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XZ0A 160 M Skew Path
From: n5ia@zia-connection.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:03:19 -0700
Top Banders,

My recent post regarding the skew path experience at XZ0A in
January/February 2000 has generated some interest in the log of Top Band
contacts.

I have already sent some of this information directly to parties that
requested it.

While digging out the log file, I discovered that we had generated a fairly
extensive note file in CT while we logged the NA and some other contacts.
In particular these notes were made after installing the low dipole for RX
which assisted tremendously in receiving the skew path NA signals.

I have cleaned up the note file, deleting those notes pertaining to QSOs
other than those to NA.  I believe it is quite revealing.  If studied
together with the complete NA log, it may offer information from which more
light can be shed on this propagation phenomena.

The first use of the dipole for RX was the 21st of January and the log shows
a dramatic increase in Qs to NA that night.  Many more would have been made
but everyone was calling on the same frequency.

As we got the word back through the pilot station for people to spread it
out, the XZ0A ops had a much easier time putting more complete Qs in the
log.  This technique resulted in the fabulous 6 Feb night, on the very last
night of the operation.

I will make available to anyone who has a desire to study this information,
both the complete 160 Meter log of NA contacts together with the Notes file
pertaining to 160 Meter NA contacts.

This information is available in Word format, Word Perfect format, or text
files to be attached to an E-mail message.  I can also send the info as text
in the body of a message.

Just let me know which format you want.

I also have digital photos of all the important aspects of the operation.
The TX antenna, the Bevs, the RX feedline collection point with signal
splitting and switch boxes for 40, 80, & 160 Meters, the dipole across the
heliport and the operating positions.

I also have a digital aerial photo of the island.  I have created an overlay
for this photo which shows the position of the TX antenna, the Bevs, the
dipole, and switching point in relation to the hotel (operating location)
etc.  This overlay is done in Image Expert and will probably only work in
that program.

But I will send the photos to anyone who has a broadband connection.  Just
let me know how many megabytes your mailbox can handle with each message.

Have a good week, and I will look for everyone in the CQ 160 CW this next
weekend from N7GP in AZ.

73 de Milt, N5IA