Topband: Re: Clix and Spurs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Clix and Spurs
From: kr9u at arrl.net (James Wolf)
Date: Fri Jan 31 06:05:35 2003

Maybe one path to pursue is to push to get articles, (not tech notes)
published in QST that provide information for users to modify their radios
to bring them up to some kind of "Amateur Standard", or some other clicky
word (sorry, couldn't resist), that indicates a radio now meets a certain
criteria.   Manufactures just might take notice that they are being called
on the table for substandard equipment.  It would be the *amateurs*, or the
end user that is buying expensive equipment only to have to modify it to get
it *right*.  Many of the changes can be simple component value changes,
which indicates that the design was never really done right.  The QST
article should go into detail as to why modifications to a current "high
tech - mature design" transceiver is needed to bring the radio up to the
performance of radios that are decades old.

Jim, KR9U

It is all in our laps. If we sit quietly and accept what we are buying and
using, it will just continue to get worse. We need to get offending
manufacturers and the ARRL's attention! We also need to correct the radios
that are fixable, as burdensome as that is. Surely the guys who spend
thousands of dollars on amplifiers and hundreds of hours on antennas can
spend a few minutes and a few dollars doing some mods, and quit pretending
their radio is the only radio manufactured of a certain model that is "OK".

73 Tom