Topband: Maximising a ground system in limited space

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Maximising a ground system in limited space
From: ggstewart at ozemail.com.au (George Stewart)
Date: Tue Feb 4 07:34:45 2003
Hi Topbanders,

Tom, W8JI partly answered a question I have on my mind at
the moment and that is how to go about maximising grounding
in a small suburban block:

Snip: "I'd ground to the plumbing, fences, heating systems,
and even the neighbour's broken car if it ever sat in one
place long enough."

My question is how do you also incorporate the salty water
in an in-ground swimming pool which has to be located within
5 feet of your vertical?

My understanding is that salty water is a far better
conductor than soil but then it is in no way in the same
league
as copper wire. I also understand that a large body of water
such as the sea is a great asset for good signals but one
can get caught out thinking that there is no need for an
earth
system on the water's edge.

Would a sheet of copper (corrode madly) or stainless steel
be of much use on the side of the pool nearest the vertical
or should one ideally work out a way of
running some radials over the pool?

I wish to have several bites at the cherry on this whole
matter of maximising the grounding in a limited area.
Someone may be able to point me in the right direction for
the answers to this, no doubt, over-worked query.

Please answer direct to vk5als@wia.org.au and I will collate
and post any advise I receive.

Thanking you in anticipation,

George, VK5ALS