Topband: Headphone summary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Headphone summary
From: R.Gorski at astronautics.com (Ronald Gorski)
Date: Tue Mar 4 15:48:07 2003
Thanks to all that responded to my query concerning headphone testimonials
for weak signal detection in a noisy environment. Here is a summary of 14
FAVORED BY              MFG             MODEL                   COMMENTS
4                       Bose            QC-1                    Noise
cancelling. Some issues with RFI. $300
3                       Heil            Pro-Set
2                       Sony            MDR 600 (700, 900)      Many reviews on
EHAM. $100-180

1 each of Sennheiser HD 545, Sennheiser HDC 451 noise cancelling phones,
Koss TD/85, Military surplus and OSHA  ear protectors fitted with stereo
phone elements.

After reading many reviews on the web, I am leaning toward the high end
Sony phones because of ruggedness, comfort, ability to reject outside noise
and power handling (can't stand rattles) ability.  73 Ron N9AU