Topband: Quarter wave vs eighth wave radials?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Quarter wave vs eighth wave radials?
From: bgkurz at epix.net (Glenn and Barbara Kurzenknabe)
Date: Tue Apr 15 23:04:57 2003
Hello Top Banders!
I am sure this has been kicked around before, but here goes anyway.
I am presently using an Inverted L, with 4 quarter wave, elevated radials on
160.   Results have been "acceptable". I am planning to take the elevated
radials down and go to on the ground radials.  The question is, what is the
thinking on "quarter wave" vs "eighth wave" on the ground radials?   I realize
that "more is better" but how does that equate to dB's, in the real world?   I
suspect I'll end up with about 20 or so radials for starters. Please respond
directly and I'll try to post a summary of the various thoughts.
Thanks guys!
73
de Glenn, K3SWZ