Topband: Current, current, here's the current??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Current, current, here's the current??
From: af4mp at mindspring.com (Zyg Skrobanski)
Date: Tue May 20 22:31:36 2003
>I've placed a small article on my website at:
>
>http://www.w8ji.com/mobile_and_loaded_antenna.htm

Tom,

Good stuff.

I'm surprised that not more people are using top loaded top band mobile
antennas with long small diameter coils. Perhaps it's because the screw
driver (a base loaded antenna) has become so common place, that few realize
how inefficient it really is.

The disadvantage of the top loaded mobile antenna is that it is only used
for one band (unless one changes coils) and the frequency range is narrow,
and usually power output is limited to 100 watts or so (the small wire on
narrow coils gets hot - nothing is perfect).  Given all that, the top
loaded antenna will reward you with a more efficient system.  So I'd rather
put up with changing coils and have a much stronger signal.

-Zyg-
AF4MP