Topband: Shunt Fed Tower Info

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt Fed Tower Info
From: herbs at vitelcom.net (Herb Schoenbohm)
Date: Mon Aug 4 09:56:35 2003

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

>I have been working on some ideas for 160 transmitting antennas and need
>some input.
>
>However, I am concerned about the height of the tower being used as a
>radiator.  A rough guess
>is that the top loading of the tower by the boom of the KLM 40 meter antenna
>would make the tower around 230 feet or so.

You are so close to a grounded half wave radiator on 160 that you most
likely will have some difficulty getting it to work well. However, you
can decouple either the top or the bottom of the tower for better
performance.  I would try  to decouple the bottom of the tower with a
sleeve wire cage of at least three or four vertical wires spaces 24
inches from the tower.  Feed the tower with an elevated gamma or omega
match by running the coax inside the tower.  Connect the shield of the
coax feed to the decoupling sleeve which should be connected to the
tower at about the 90 to 100 foot level. The insulated decoupling sleeve
can be brought to the correct 1/4 wave value by some 20 or 30 foot
horizontal stingers wires at the bottom.  These wires will have high
voltage at the ends so they must be insulated.  The antenna will perform
more like a half wave vertical and ground connection losses should be
minimal. The radiation angle will be lower than a 1/4 wave grounded top
loaded tower resulting in a super DX antenna.

73
Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

. Since the decoupling sleeve will be insulated at the