Re: Topband: Fw: 25G insulators

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: 25G insulators
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 07:46:16 +0000

A full size 160 vertical will draw big arcs during thunderstorms.  At NR5M
they had to short the vertical to ground with an auto battery jumper cable.

Better still, install a heavy duty spark gap across the base insulator, and adjust it a little beyond the point where it arcs over at your peak power during wet weather. That's the way they do it at AM broadcast stations. I use a similar arrangement with my quarter wave 25G tower, and after 20 years the only major lightning damage I have received at my station, other than some shattered guy wire insulators, was when I forgot and left my professional quality rf step attenuator connected and the internal precision resistors blew up like firecrackers (but I was relieved it was only the attenuator and not the receiver).

As a further precaution I have a large silver plated military surplus knife switch in series with the line that carries the rf to the base of the tower, and I open it when the station is not in use.

Don K4KYV