Topband: Making your own Base Insulators

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Making your own Base Insulators
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:34:28 -0800
Dick, W7WKR writes:

>In the past I have made my own base insulator for R-25 towers.
>To do so, I drilled three 1"-diameter holes in the HBP-25 in which
>I inserted some machined insulating spacers.

This is the way I insulated my topband 1/4 wave Rohn 25 vertical as well.

I used the BPH 25G hinged base plate for concrete. I just removed the
bolts that attach the triangle plate with the stubs for the tower section and
rotated it to clear the hinges. I also used three 1" diameter holes with the
machined spacers and washers made from Teflon. The hinged part of the
base plate is resting on a sheet of Teflon.

Seems to me someone could sell an insulating kit with the base plate
sheet of Teflon, three spacers and washers for cheap.

I installed a very simple and clean series fed, insulated base, full size 1/4
wave vertical with 150+ radials on the ground far from the HF towers
using phillystran for guys only after a few years of frustration "fussing"
with a gamma matched, top loaded, seasonal Z shifting, narrow bandwidth,
grounded PITA version. (How's that for a whopper of a sentence.) I
could add more words but I got the supper call....

73 Rich KL7RA