Topband: Rohn Tower for 160/80 antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Rohn Tower for 160/80 antenna
From: "Dave Anderson, K4SV" <K4SV2@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:25:41 -0400
Hi All,

Wanted to ask if the normal calculation for a 1/4 vertical applies (234/F(mhz)
= Feet of antenna for 160 meters using a Rohn 25G section of tower for the
radiator (125 foot)?

Second part.
If I made the bottom a 60 feet Rohn 25G tower section with 50 foot of tapered
AL tubing and a small inductor to resonate all sitting on insulators, would
there be a better calculation for length? Has anyone tried this? What is
better?  Yeah I know, a 2 element beam for 160, but it wont fit the backyard.

Thanks in advance,

Dave, K4SV
Asheville, NC