Re: Topband: Critters Eating Coax

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Critters Eating Coax
From: "Doug Waller" <NX4D@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:23:09 -0400
> Any known solutions out there that WORK?  Is there some substance that the
> critters really do not like that can be applied to the coax - a spray or
jelly
> perhaps?
> 73 JEFF

Squirrels hate the taste of coax!  But they are apparently driven by nature
to intake compounds missing in their diet.  After rains I have noticed the
squirrels licking my coax, and the treated & stained wood deck.

It took alot of mulling this over, but the realization finally came that
they probably needed a cattle salt block to supplement their little diets.

A salt block by the tower was ignored until buried in the ground with a thin
sand layer over it, and then watered.  There is now a steady stream of
squirrels to the newly discovered salt lick block, and they seem to have
lost interest in my coax, the deck and some hot peppers nearby.

This solution could be a two-edge sword however, as I have noticed raccoon &
fox tracks.......and the squirrels are growing!  I would suggest placing the
salt block away from coax areas to draw the "gnawers" away rather than to
the area to be protected.

While I can not guarantee this will work for everyone, given individual
squirrel personalities & regional tastes, it could be an easy solution to a
gnawing problem for many.

73, Doug / NX4D