Re: Topband: more feedline data

To: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: more feedline data
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:46:36 -0400
>On the issues of feedline radiation and low-loss transmission line
transformers, my earlier comments stand as-is.

>With these numbers, the loss for 1400 feet of Tom's open-wire line should
be in the range of 0.4 dB -- it would take 3" hardline or Heliax>(R) and
many $$$ to achieve this with coax.

That's right in line with what I measured...my measurement was about .35dB
loss.

As you pointed out, losses in matching and radiation are insignificant. With
the feeder properly installed, signal ingress is also insignificant so this
makes a very good feed system (if you can stand the maintenance).

73 Tom