Topband: Ed Edwards, WA4SGF

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Ed Edwards, WA4SGF
From: ABowenN4OO <abowen@nettally.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:25:33 -0400
Don't have his call but he was more portable than mobile ....used a 30-foot vertical as I recall, and couldn't operate while in motion for obvious reasons!
73/Jon AA1K
===========================
That was Ed, WA4SGF from Duval City, Florida. Not sure if he ever succeeded tho, but he did have a big signal from the mobile and worked lots of DX. Suspect he may now be SK.
73
Bill, K4CIA
Eddie Edwards was a character. He came to most of the Orlando and Melbourne (FL) hamfests and like some of the rest of us, was fond of liquid refreshment and conversation in the late PM and evening. We spent a lot of time laughing at his stories.

He assembled a 160 setup in his car and made an antenna patterned after The Minooka Special. The coil was wound on PVC pipe. I do not know the overall height, but knowing Eddy, I am sure he made it as high as possible. He operated along a canal connected to salt water. He did quite well and he was persistent. He ran into a problem when he ran the power up to around 400 watts. The wire got hot and started the PVC on fire. He showed it proudly at a subsequent Orlando Hamfest.

I do not remember if he collected enough cards for DXCC.

Sadly, Eddy was killed while riding his motorcycle some years ago. As I remember, he ran into an open car door on a city street.

Maybe some of the guys from Jacksonville, FL, have more details.

INK N4OO