Re: Topband: ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet
From: Steve Ireland <sire@iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:09:38 +0800
At 03:08 PM 20/10/2003 -1000, you wrote:
KH7M wrote:

>Longest wire I can get up here is my 80/40 meter
>W7FG doublet about 125 feet long;  center fed via
>600 ohm ladder line.  So,  it is about 1/4 wave on
>160 metes.
>
>Using my tuner,  with extra capacity
>switched in at the output capacitor to yield about
>450 pf at the output,  I can reach an indicated
>vswr of about 1.7:1.
>
>However,  it seems to me that feeding a 1/4 wave
>antenna at the center is not the right thing to do!

Hi Jim

My first 100 countries were worked with an 80m doublet about 45' high -
with 66' of wire added to each end of it, which were sloped down to the
fence lines, so the ends were about 8' off the ground.  I used to call it
an 'inverted-U antenna.

The antenna worked very well on 80 and 40m as well (in fact, I think I
finished world 2nd in the 1995 CQ WW CW 7MHz LP section, using this antenna).

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ