Re: Topband: ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:21:32 +0000
I can tune my 80m. open wire fed dipole on 160, and it works pretty well. The tuning is very sharp; +/- 10 kHz at the very most. I had to make some additional feedline to add in to the feeder to get optimum length. I started out midway between a high voltage and high current point with the feeder tapped down on the coil, and it was very inefficient, and the air variable in the tuner would arc over at 100 watts or so, even though the plate spacing 3/16" is rated at 7000v. I adjusted the feeder length for a high voltage feedpoint, and with parallel tuning, I can run 1000+ watts with no arcovers. It is wery sharp tuning, but doesn't arc over.

I use a true balanced tuner with split stator air variable and link coupled air dielectric coils. I wouldn't even consider trying it with the bogus method that uses an unbalanced T or L network feeding a balancedi tuned feedline thru a balun.

Don K4KYV