Re: Topband: impedance transformer windings

To: flood@ixi.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: impedance transformer windings
From: "CHARLES HUTTON" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 00:43:38 +0000
Hi Steve:

One little problem is that you can't reduce things to "inductance per turn" since that is not linear. The inductance varies as the square of the number of turns. When I do the calculations, the numbers are 336 uH for the antenna winding using the 4:1 rule.

That requires 6.3 turns on the antenna winding and 1.4 turns on the receiver winding.

I'd make that with 9 and 2 turns respectively. The extra turns will help just a tiny bit as the insertion loss with greater than 4:1 ratio will fall maybe .05 dB. On the other hand, the high end of the passband may come in just a little but you're way outside of a flag's frequency range that it does not matter. The transformer is likely to be flat past 30 MHz even with the extra turns.

Your other choice is to use a normal 73 or 77 core. You'll be better off with the BN core even with the slight amount of "extra" turns.

Chuck