Topband: VK9XG Report Nov 3 & 4

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VK9XG Report Nov 3 & 4
From: df3cb@t-online.de (df3cb)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:37:46 +0100
This is from Charlie, VK9XG (W0YG). All news, online log search and pictures
can be found at

        http://www.df3cb.com/vk9xg

and are updated (almost) daily.

73 Bernd DF3CB

---

Nov 4, 2003

Conditions still horrible. Rain/mist almost every day so that noise is often
S9 on my phased pennants. I still try for EU every morning here but not much
response. I can hear the guys calling but I cannot make out individual
calls. I even tried 160M this morning for EU but only 9V1GO, Bob, calling
CQ.

---

Nov 3, 2003

Well conditions continue to be awful. Almost every QSO on 80M involves
fighting the QRN and QRM to pull a callsign out of the mud. Everyone seems
to be right at the noise level which makes operating quite tough. I do have
a pennant antenna with 22 dB preamp pointed right on EU but still not much
help. I am not sure about 160 meters as I cannot even hear well on 80 but
will keep trying. Worked many EU stations on RTTY last night but will
continue operating on that mode to try to satisfy the need.

Please hang in there and keep calling. I need to hear callsigns more than
once as under these conditions, sending the call one time usually means I
miss it. Stations needing Christmas Island on CW please send the call more
than once!

That is it for now. Will keep trying. Conditions though are not easy.