RE: Topband: QRN at VK9XG

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: QRN at VK9XG
From: Robert Marshall-Read <rmread@starhub.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:33:19 +0800
Hello from 9V,

Steve said in his posting:
For those who wonder why Charlie VK9XG is sometimes on 20m RTTY when 160/80
sound good at your end, the answer is all too simple - 160/80 at his end is
so full of QRN that 'S' meter is constantly at S9+40dB and the bands sound
like a demolition derby.

Couldn't agree more!  As Peter 9V1PC and Jon DU9/N0NM have both pointed out
before, it is murder in the tropics.  Before putting up the pennant and
tuned loop the QRN was a blinding S9+10 to 20 before the static crashes.
After the new RX antennas went up, it got better but not good.  The norm is
now S6 QRN on a good day and S8 on a bad, with the thunderstorm crashes
thrown in more often than not.  Lately any opening to the USA or to Europe
has been accompanied by deep and slow QSB so partial calls are about the
best that can be copied unless someone sends his call sign more than once.

That coupled with a pile up if the signal from here is getting out at all
makes it all rough from this side.  Even 80, 40 and to some extent 30 metres
get hit with the high QRN and static levels so it is normal to be accused of
no ears when what is really lacking is extrasensory perception here in
Singapore.  Again, the pile ups make it even tougher and seldom do the
stations standby when only one is being called.

Nobody said it was going to be easy.  I got spoiled with a fairly low noise
level and beverages for a while in the UK.

So far 28 DXCC on Top Band.  Getting to a hundred now looks like a real
challenge.  I am on at my SS and SR most days hoping things will get better.

73

Bob 9V1GO G4VGO

This email is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not view, disseminate, use or copy this email. Kindly
notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. Thank
you.

Please visit our website at www.starhub.com