Topband: VK9XG & VK9XD

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VK9XG & VK9XD
From: David Burger <DavidB@facilities.usyd.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:21:58 +1100
Hi All;
Just a quick note about how spooky it was to hear the VK9X CQWW SSB station
I'd setup operating 'live' on 80 and 160m.  It is rare to hear ones own
station on air from 6000km away.  Signals from Charlie were strong here in
Sydney on both bands - and I'd need to concur with comments about the
tropical noise levels.   Utilising a 43m to 57m construction crane for this
style of station; 5 times now as VK8AA and once as VK9XD then handing the
keys to Charlie VK9XG, I'd go as far to suggest the noise levels were
typical higher than what I've experienced at the 10 to 12 degree south
latitudes in these parts, but propagation on 80 and 160 was depressed
(during the CQWW when I operated).

I managed only 5 SSB QSO's on 160m and missed VK again for the 4th year
running now  (could NOT get some other strong CW dudes on 160m to flick
their mode switch) and around 45 SSB qso's on 3799 after deferring to a VK3
who seemed to take ownership of the VK SSB window :-{     Can't wait for the
6Khz VK 75m window to grow to 24Khz on Jan 1, 2004 !!

I actually sourced the 80 and 160m antennas on the island, plus the 12m mast
for the 4 ele tribander both Charlie & I used, plus all the pennant
supports.  The antenna and navigation light bracket at the top of the crane
was fabricated on the island.... plus there is enough alumium tubing
available on the island to build a large yagi on 40m or higher..    If only
I could config the antennas to Rx as well as they Tx.

As Charlie and Steve noted, there are some neat quantities of 'ham'
materials remaining there, and am certainly warm to turning on a biggish
contest station there again in 2004.

73,  VK9XD   (home call VK2CZ)...  I'm slowly working at this CW thing too.

David Burger  (davidb@facilities.usyd.edu.au)
Chartered Professional Engineer (PE) - Telecommunications
SYDNEY, Australia