Topband: measuring transformer core inductance

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: measuring transformer core inductance
From: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:36:54 -0700
I picked up an LCR meter for the main purpose of winding transformers and being
able to nail down the actual inductance and transformation ratios.  The meter
was advertised as "Frequency to 15MHz" but as it turns out it meant that it
measures frequency rather than generates frequency.  It actually generates a 1
kHz signal for measuring inductance which probably makes it worthless for
measuring inductance at 1.8 MHz.  Is this the case?  I read where core
permeabilities change with freuquency.  My question to the group is what do you
use to measure the inductance of the windings so you know when you reach the
desired ratios?  I've had miserable luck doing it by formula and thought the
meter would cinch it for me.

I cannot seem to locate website charts that show inductance/frequency curves
for the cores on Amidon or Fair-Rite websites.  This would help to estimate
where one needs to go when they wind up a core.

Any help here?

Thanks, Steve KK7UV