Topband: 160m Receive Antenna

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m Receive Antenna
From: "Kelley" <kelley@ogdoad.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:55:17 -0600
I'm looking for some advice on a 160m directional receive antenna. I live in
south central Minnesota, directly west of Minneapolis. My chunk of land is 4
acres, longer then wider and is very woody. There isn't enough space for a
full size beverage. My current 160m antenna is a 48' shunt fed tower with
8 - 60' radials. Generally, during the colder months, my noise level is S0
with no preamp and no att on my FT-1000D.

During the ARRL 160m contest, it seemed as though I "got out" better then I
heard. There were a number of stations that got my exchange in one try,
while I needed several. Perhaps some sort of directional receive antenna is
in order.

A quick review of the internet and various antenna books revealed a large
assortment of receive antennas to try. Many appear to try and limit noise,
not my main concern. I would appreciate any thoughts on directional receive
antennas, even if a receive antenna wouldn't help!

Thanks,

Kelley - WØRK