Topband: Boring Report - N6TR - 1999-2003

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report - N6TR - 1999-2003
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:46:35 -0600
160 has been pretty boring for about 4 years now.

Over the weekend, I got my tower reloaded and working FB.  It seems that
another tower located about 100 feet to the SW was working as a reflector
during most of the 90's when I was having great success into Europe.  My
dipole always worked better to the west.

A few years ago, the "reflector" was extended 20 feet and a full sized 3
element 40 was put on top instead of a shorty 3 element.  Now, the loaded
tower seems to work better than the dipole to the west (based upon listening
tests to T32WW, KH6CC and KH6AT).  It also required some significant retuning.

So, if anyone wants a design for a 160 meter reflector for their loaded
tower, I can give you one.  It takes about 85 feet of Rohn 45 and a 5
element 20 or 3 element shorty 40 on top.

Tuned in last night to 1824 hoping to snag J8DX for a new one.  Heard many
USA stations working him, but never heard a peep here.  It appeared he went
QRT around 0440 UTC.

Around 0400, I noticed W1AW was VERY strong - I think louder than I had ever
heard them.  A VE1 was also very strong - which is even more unusual.  However,
after an hour, signals started fading.  No peeps heard from Europe up here.

During the ARRL 160, I got on around 1100 UTC the second night and the band
seemed pretty good to the whole country.  Lots of W1/W2/W3/W4 stations called
in.  Being fresh meat probably helped.

I'll have the east beverage up for the Stew Perry.  Looks like N5KO will be
leaving before the contest starts so I might have to do single op.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net