Topband: mobile on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: mobile on 160
From: Woody7258@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 03:35:09 EST
We have about ten active 160 mobiles in the South Chicago Suburbs, a
continuation of the old "Chicago Radio Mobileers", started in the 50's.
(www.hamfesters.org/chihome.htm)

Several are using Valor/Pro-Am 160 single band antennas.  They work fine on
one frequency with a bandwidth of 5 khz or so.  One uses a Tarheel screwdriver,
another a
"Preditor" screwdriver made to include 160. (www.KJ9T.com).  Some use 80 thru
10 screwdrivers with a coil added on top for 160.  Howard, W9NHM (now a SK)
made several of these coils.

Our daytime operating radius is 20 to 40 miles, and this group is on 10:30 to
noon most every day on 1935 khz. Take a listen and see what you hear if you
are in the mid-west!
We also have many fixed stations in the group.

Jim, KJ9T, works all around the country at night from his mobile.  I have
also worked lots of stations in IA, WI, KY, IN, and CO.

73,  Will, K9F0