Re: Topband: Beverage on Ice

To: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage on Ice
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:50:44 -0400
Ron,

You are describing a classic military Beverage used in the Arctic during the DEW line installations or Antarctica perhaps today.
Sure run it out on the ice an snow and add a 1/4 wave piece of wire running the same direction after the terminating resistor.

Remember, however, if you wand it to work on 80 as well you will need to have another 1/4 wave wire for that band, or any other fanning out preferably.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Ron Feutz wrote:

Topbanders,

Now that the river is frozen, I want to put out one or two Beverages on the ice. I haven't been able to find reference material on this.

I will probably put down ~1000' to start. Any advice on terminating resistance and method? Short radial field, long single wire in same
direction as antenna wire? Combination? In case it makes any difference, the water depth averages about 12' in the direction I will start with.

How about feed point impedance?

Any references on this subject?

Tnks and 73,

Ron - WA9IRV