Re: Topband: DX window

To: "Keith Jillings" <keith@jillings.org.uk>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX window
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 08:08:52 -0500
> Maybe I should just move to a rural location, buy an FT1000MP and a big
linear,
> put up a dozen or so Beverages, and stop complaining?   Anyone care to
sponsor me?

.......not if you are going to run an unmodified FT1000MP with a big linear
and antenna I won't!  At least not unless we also have a DX Window and split
operation so the keyclicks you add don't wipe things out for 1.5 kHz up and
down. I don't want you to make others miserable!

Seriously now....
a Window isn't a hardship for me or anyone else. If it helps a significant
number of other people enjoy the hobby with only a slight inconvenience to
me, then so be it. I'd don't mind giving up some of my enjoyment for someone
else. If DX stations want to work me they will find me and work me. If I
want to work them I'll find them.

If a Window makes someone else's operation more pleasurable for the very
minor discomfort to me, I'll gladly avoid CQ'ing or running stations in a
special small area of the band.

Not having a split operation Window requires we all maintain our gear and
work together as friends to reach compromises. This hobby is about helping
each other and fellowship, not attacking each other. Let's get back enjoying
radio and this reflector.

73 Tom