Topband: 160m / portable

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m / portable
From: prickler.schneider@t-online.de (christian schneider)
Date: 14 Jan 2004 22:50 GMT
Hello,
having no antenna at home I operate only /portable - now trying 160m.  After
reading some of of the regular web and paper ressources I have some questions:

- How does the terrain influence the radiation pattern of verticals? Are slopes
from a
hilltop improving the lower lobes in the way TA-software shows it for horizontal
antennas? In one post however I read about a negative influence of slopes on
verticals.

- What factors and ingredients of soil shape the ground conductivity in the far
field? I
understood that it is not measurable. But is there anything more than "rich
soil, typ
Dallas" available? It may help in choosing between different QTHs. Does "rich"
mean
fertile?

- Length of BOGs is recommended between 57 and 160m - what are the experiences?

Of course I´m happy with any other tips and experiences about /p-operating on
160m. As a
humble start I work with an oldfashioned singlewire-fed windom (81m) from a
hilltop.
Without real trees the vertical section (with planned 16 radials each 20m) and
average heigth of the wire are only 8-10m. Still looking for a freestanding and
accessible
15m+ tree with enough place for Inv-L, BOGs and radials.

Thanks in advance,
Chris (DL8MBS)