Topband: Inverted-L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Inverted-L
From: Chuck Sudds <chuck@dxham.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:33:49 -0600
Greetings!

I thought that I would take advantage of this warm Midwestern weather and install an Inverted-L antenna for 160M and I had a couple questions for you experienced antenna builders.

I plan to run the vertical portion up my Rohn 45G tower to about the 80ft level and then horizontal for 80-95ft. I have approximately 125 of horizontal space available. Would the antenna perform better by extending the horizontal portion as far as I can (125ft) or should I keep the entire thing at the tried and true 160-175ft total length? I had planned to use RG-213 as a series capacitor to off-set any added reactance by doing this.

How far from the tower, realistically, do I need to be for the vertical element?

Sorry but I do not have an antenna analyzer so I will have to do it the old fashioned way, with an SWR bridge. Any suggestions? Thanks, in advance.

Chuck  KØTVD
Missouri Valley, Iowa