RE: Topband: reliable contact among mast sections

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: reliable contact among mast sections
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:04:59 +0000

If you have hot-dip galvanised sections, there is no need to electrically bond the sections, according to the Rohn tower company. I have used a Rohn 25G tower as a vertical for nearly 20 years without a problem, and I have seen numerous broadcast towers using 25G and 45G, and have never seen any external electrical bonding. This should hold true for any galvanised mast. If you are doubtful, I would suggest running several strands of heavy gauge galvanised wire in parallel with the mast for its entire length. If the mast is zinc-coated, avoid copper wire at all costs, since zinc and copper will corrode and turn into a crude battery cell/diode rectifier upon contact with water.

Don K4KYV