Topband: JA Openings

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: JA Openings
From: TNeill1648@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:32:40 EST
In November, 1995, I was in the process of relocating to a new farm QTH and
taken down all antennas except for an Alpha-Delta DXA sloper.  The antenna ran
from a height of 35 feet down to about 5 feet off the ground.  While listening
to a JA call CQ on the high end of the band I recognized that conditions must
be exceptional for me to even hear him on that antenna.

I called the JA and ended up running 11 other JA's with my meager antenna and
500 wts using the small ICOM solid state amplifier.  That day was without
doubt the best JA opening I have ever heard here in the Nashville, TN, area.

I have not heard a JA station yet this year.

FYI

Tom Neill, K4XG
Windy Hills Farm
6500 Covington-Eudailey Road