Topband: My new 160 meter antenna

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: My new 160 meter antenna
From: Tom Berry <tberry1@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:35:36 -0500
Since it's been a few years since I've been active from home on 160, I
thought I would  like to try operating in the CQWW 160 contest this
year.  I have in the past gone to WV to help operate W8BAR

The only antenna I have up is a 40 meter delta loop that is fairly
close to the ground.  It occurred to me that the loop is a full
wavelength on 40  so it should be close to a quarter wavelength on
160, (a little long, but close).   The loop is feed in the bottom
corner . I connected the center of the coax to the vertical wire and
left the horizontal wire free. (This would be the high voltage end of
the quarter wave loop.)   I placed 3 quarter wave radials on the
ground and connected the ends to the coax braid.
The antenna did work very well for receive and fairly  well on
transmit.  I concentrated on working some DX and just want to thank
the stations who dug me out of the mud.

I enjoyed this contest enough to start planning on my permanent 160
antenna.

73 Tom AA4VV