RE: Topband: Key Clicks on Top Band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: Key Clicks on Top Band
From: "Barry N1EU" <n1eu@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:30:37 -0500
I have to say that I'm quite encouraged by the generally increased level of awareness about keyclicks - there really is hope of significantly cleaning up our favorite band. Thanks once again to Tom W8JI for spearheading this awareness. Run frequencies are incredibly hard to find in CQ160 and declicking will afford us the ability to co-exist merrily in tighter quarters.

To wit - I was running merrily along on my cq frequency at one point this weekend when suddenly keyclicks started intruding and riding my AGC even with narrowed filtering. I tuned the subreceiver and found the offender (a W8 who will remain nameless) about 1Khz above me. I believe at the precise instant I was informing him of the clicks with "keyclicks bad pse qsy", the other cq'er from the other side of the W8 arrived on his frequency to respond in perfect stride to the W8 coming back with a "?" . Now, that's team work! The W8 good-naturedly responded and vacated the frequency. With a de-clicked radio, he definitely could have stayed on frequency and we wouldn't have known he was there. So, contesters, declicking your radio will mean it's easier to find a run frequency - that surely should be incentive.

73,
Barry N1EU