RE: Topband: keying waveform-ARRL savy

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: keying waveform-ARRL savy
From: "Barry N1EU" <n1eu@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:10:43 -0500
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
I am not too sure the ARRL-QST staff has anyone who understands this subject and the ways to measure it. I have been puzzled/confused by the scope depiction of the key closure- resulting waveform shown in QST for some time. Take a look at the ORION review in the recent QST (January, pg 66, fig. 2). There is a delay from key closure to signal, which is possible, but how and why does the signal start down BEFORE the key is opened?

This question was addressed (beat to death?) on the Ten-Tec forum. The signal doesn't "start down BEFORE the key is opened". The key closure is the negative going part of the upper square wave. There is a 20+ msec delay between initial key closure and rf output. "Cut and paste" to get the scope photo? I think not.

73,
Barry N1EU