Re: Topband: Early JA's at PY2FUS

To: py2fus@integral.com.br, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Early JA's at PY2FUS
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:23:17 -0800
More nostalgia.....

Ron, PY2FUS wrote:

"I have been infected with the TopBand bug back in 1974, by Rolf, PY1RO,
at that time PY1DVG."
==========
Rolf certainly gets around!

I worked him in 1965 (as PY1NFC -- he was using Pete's call because he
didn't have his own license then) on 20m CW when I was W8DGP in Detroit.
He said he would get in touch with me personally because he was coming to
Detroit on business (he worked for Burroughs then, which was
headquartered in Detroit).

In January 1966 he knocked on my door and we had a great eyeball QSO.  He
looked at my 40 vertical and commented that we could put a loading coil
in it and work the upcoming CQ160-meter contest.  I didn't have any
Topband equipment so we borrowed Steve, K8EHD's (I forget his present K8
two-letter call) Drake B-line and got the antenna tuned and the three of
us multiop'd together in the contest.  Our 200 QSOs won for Michigan.  My
most vivid memory from that contest was the incredibly strong signal from
avid contester Jake, W8FGX in Cincinnati.

Our biggest thrills were hearing a G and working a W6.  That's when I got
bitten by the 160m bug.

So, it turns out that Rolf is also my Topband "Elmer".  I'm pleased to
hear that he's active again, apparently chasing DXCC on 6m.  Please QSP
my best to him.

73, de Earl, K6SE