Topband: Re: 160 Nostalgia (W9UCW)

To: Topband@Contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re: 160 Nostalgia (W9UCW)
From: W9UCW@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:23:17 EST
Earl, K6SE said

>"Rolf certainly gets around!"

Yes, and he's a great host, too. I first worked him as PY1MGF in '71, and
later that year as PY1DVG. He was always in there and I got a chance to see
why.
In 1978 I was working in Brazil where my company (Caterpillar) had two plants.
Rolf got word to me to come to Rio for a weekend....I was at our Piricicaba
plant then. Friday after work I jumped on a bus that rumbled thru the mountains
all night, dropping me on the boardwalk at Ipanema beach, downtown Rio de
Janeiro in the morning. I took a cab to the address Rolf gave me and was buzzed
up to the penthouse which was the abode of PY1ZAE and his lovely wife and
daughter. Rolf was there, as well as Bill, K1MM who happened to be in Rio on
business. We all had a beer and told stories in the shack. Then we went to
Rolf's
office (Digital) where he showed us a slide show of his and ZAE's  trip to St.
Peter & Paul Rocks. They went on a sailboat owned by a young French nudist
couple. What a great show! Then we all piled in a car and went across the long
bridges inland to Rolf's radio QTH. By sunset we were on the air with that
monstrous array of vertical dipoles. We took turns operating PY1RO and sleeping
on
the floor until morning. What a blast! Got to say "Hello" to lots of friends
from that end. Rain showers kept passing by and causing big arcs in the shack,
but we stayed on all night. Sunday night I was back on the bus, headed for
Piricicaba. Don't remember doing anything useful in the office on Monday.
BTW, Rolf's E-Mail is  PY1RO@cruiser.com.br   He likes to hear from old
friends

Jack, N4JJ said

>"Yes, W8VLN was causing QRM back then, too."

During one of twenty trips I made to HK0/San Andres, I sat down and called CQ
on 1827, which was in "the window" in those days. A pileup ensued between
1800 & 1805. After a while, a station I worked- don't remember who -told me
that
W8VLN and a few of his cronies had fired up on AM on my frequency. I said "I'm
moving to 1803" several times and QSY'ed. When I got there, I called CQ, "QSX
1827". Everybody got the idea. Larry and the boys didn't know what hit 'em.
What a hoot that was.

Lots of QSO's are memorable for me, but one was not only special but was a
real surprise. It was on a very cold January 20th, 20 years ago, at about 7 PM.
I called CQ near the bottom of the band. A real weak one came back, but he was
building. It took a while before I got the call. It was HZ1AB. Bob, WA8MOA
had gone to work in Saudi Arabia and took the portable "Minooka Special" I
built
for the Mellish Reef expedition with him. He had just gotten permission to
fire up on 160 so he put the "Minooka" up in the parking lot of the Aramco
offices in Dharan and got on the air. Guess it was one of those "right place at
the
right time" deals. I'll always remember that one.

73's, Barry, W9UCW