Topband: A61AJ

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: A61AJ
From: K1ZM@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 06:51:45 EST
Good Morning

A61AJ's current operations on 160M this week have been by Dave Rosen (K2GM)
who is a former K2GL operator and the son of silent-key WA2RAU (Doc Rosen) of
1960's Dx'ing fame.

During the CQ160m CW contest, the activity was by Robert Kasca S53R - who is
sometimes known as "Sugar 53 Robert".

The reliable A61AJ Topband signal comes from a full-sized 4 square transmit
array tuned for 1830Khz which employs insulated bases, phillystran guys and 100
1/4 wave radials.

The antenna was erected in November 2000 by myself, ON4UN (and friend Roger),
K2DM and several of Ali's local friends.  his array went from "nothing" -
meaning a bare patch of ground to fully operational in (8) days - thanks to a
dedicated crew and a 200 foot tall long boom crane!

Following its completion, this antenna has largely been used only
sproadically in contests.  I am thoroughly delighted to see some Dx'ing
activity now
taking place as it is extremely difficult to work Ali from NA during contests.

Those on the fringes of possible propagation should have a good shot at
working A6 if Dave continues to look at the right times.

I dunno if Dave will try the long path at his sunset into the West coast, but
it is possible to work as far EAST as Colorado on an exceptional day.

Good hunting!

73 JEFF

K1ZM@aol.com