Topband: More clicks with QSK?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: More clicks with QSK?
From: k1htv@verizon.net
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:44:59 -0500 (EST)
"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com> wrote:

>Subject: Topband: Omni 6 Plus
>
>I had a chance to observe something interesting last night. A wide clicking
>signal suddenly became click-free.
>
>The operator e-mailed me and said he exchanged his Omni-6 plus for a TS-850.
>The change was pretty dramatic. He went from about 3kHz wide with S9 clicks
>down to no clicks at all!
>
>The important point is there apparently are some very clean cheap radios out
>there. It would be interesting to learn the models of *good* radios and make
>that info available. If any has that info, please e-mail it to me.
>
>73, Tom W8JI

- - -
Tom,
  I've been running a TS850, which I purchased used, many years ago.
In fact it is the only HF radio in the K1HTV shack.  With narrow filters
in the high and low IF's I can operate very close to very strong stations
(provided that they aren't one of the clickers).  On transmit, I've never
had complaints about clicks but recent notes about this problem prompts me
to ask the question about QSK operation with this and other radios.  I
frequently run break-in operation with the TS850, especially in contests
and DX pileups.  Since the T-R relay follows every dot and dash, shouldn't
this result in more key clicks?  Or is the TS850, and possibly other radios,
designed so well that these dot/dash events don't produce undesirable
key clicks?

Thanks to you and so many others for the technical contributions that
have enriched the knowledge base of so many Topband Reflector subscribers.

73 de Rich - K1HTV
dz@VOA.gov

PS
Congrats to you and op W4AN for the super score in the recent CQ160 CW Contest.