Topband: TS-850 vs Mark V Field

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: TS-850 vs Mark V Field
From: "Dennis Sokol" <dasokol@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:17:05 +0000
I used a TS-850s on all bands for ten years until I replaced it with a Mark V Field in 2002. In my opinion, it is a very good radio overall for the value but it has been far outdistanced now by newer technology. The TS-850 now sits along side my Mk V Field as a backup and monitoring radio.

That being said, these are my main observations:

The MP's receiver is much quiter than the TS-850 which seemes to have too much front-end gain.
It seemes to be much more susceptible to certain kinds of noise which masks weak signals.

The TS-850 has, IMO, a much better antenna tuner, and better filter selection system, than the
MP. Incidentally, the 200 watt Mark 5 has a different, beefier tuner than the original MP or Field,
to withstand the higher power. (Some say it's the same as the FT-1000(D) tuner.)

The TS-850 has much better audio and is a pleasure to listen to on BC and shortwave. I modified the attenuator for better BC and LF NDB reception. Wish I could figure out how to do it on the MP!

The MP has a more effective noise blanker but it distorts signals and creates artifacts. During contests, it must be shut off.

Main attraction of the Field is the quiet receiver and DUAL RECEIVE. This feature alone has made
working new countries on 160 so much easier than with the 850. Separate RX antenna input is
a big plus as is the built-in power supply.

In summary, it took ten years before a radio came along that made me replace the 850, plus the
price was too good to pass up.

73, Dennis W0JX

dasokol@hotmail.com
22 Old State Road