Topband: 160 condx last night feb/4/04

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 condx last night feb/4/04
From: "Dan Kovatch" <w8car@buckeye-express.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:00:12 -0500
I hope this doesn't detract from the discussions of clicks, noise floor, S9
definitions or radio bashing but I actually could not sleep last night and
wandered into the shack. The packetcluster screen was full of spots on 160.
I listened for a few minutes and fired off the amp. The signals were strong
and so was the QRN from T-storms elsewhere. Between  0552 and 0624 I worked
the following IV3PRK,S59AA,DK6WL,OM5RW (WHO WAS RUNNING 100 WATTS),OE5NNN,
OK1DOT, OE4PWW,9A4PA,GW3KMV(?),G3JMJ,I2BBJ, DL9YX. Most were raised by cqing
on 1819khz. Most signals were very strong with several pushing the s meter
to S9 using the BOG and no preamp. Unfortunately, the QRN was almost as
strong making some nice signals hard to copy.

The fun ended when I noticed the SWR meter (and grid meter on the amp!!!)
banging against the peg. Turns out in the light of day I had a bad piece of
coax between the antenna and Ameritron outside. Hope for a repeat of thsoe
condx tonight (sans T storms).

Back to the scheduled discussions of other stuff.
W8CAR
Dan Kovatch
zone 4 and 8/ohio/EN81oj
www.geocities.com/w8car