Re: Re: Topband: BDR redux

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Topband: BDR redux
From: John Kaufmann <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:00:18 -0500
on4kj@skynet.be wrote:

>   Two diodes back to back in front of a receiver is'nt that a bit of a
> simple?
>   My first thought in this case goes to a " Fourier series Delight ". Must
> be hard to correct by a audio filter.

There are a couple issues to consider with hard-limiters like back-to-back
diodes.  The first is harmonic distortion.  For IF signals that are
substantially sub-octave, i.e. occupy much less than one octave of bandwith,
the distortion can be removed by bandpass filtering.  Decades ago, many
engineering papers were written, all showing that hard-limiting of basically CW
signals followed by bandpass filtering resulted in very little loss in SNR
after the filter.  This was the basis for gain control systems in many digital
data systems, using hard-limiting at IF.

The second more serious issue is intermodulation distortion (IMD) between
multiple signals in the passband.  The IMD products that fall within the
passband of the filter cannot be filtered out.  The transmit speech processing
systems used in many rigs today are based on IF limiting.  The SSB waveform is
clipped and then passed through an IF filter.  As you crank up the processing
gain, you can hear the distortion increase, due to rising IMD.  For moderate
clipping, there is a net improvement in intelligibility over noisy channels
because the clipping raises the average power in the signal.  For heavy
clipping, however, the increase in distortion eventually begins to hurt
intelligibility.  The same principles apply if clipping is employed in the
receiver.

The idea of back-to-back diodes at audio, followed by an audio bandpass filter
is nonetheless a simple, but effective means of gain control, particularly for
dealing with weak signals in the presence of large static crashes.  I've tried
it and it does work pretty well.

73, John W1FV