RE: Topband: S-meter Calibration

To: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, <K8LV1@aol.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: S-meter Calibration
From: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:35:41 -0700
At 08:26 AM 2/12/04 -0800, Richard Karlquist wrote:

>What I do when giving signal reports on 160 is to switch
>the receiver to listen on the transmit antenna (a 90 foot
>vertical) and get an S-meter reading on the FT-1000D.
>I then use a lookup table to convert the S-meter reading
>to the correct reading.  For example, S-2 indicated is actually
>something like S-5.

Rick
What is this lookup table? Please explain.
With an S-7 noise level most of the time, listening on the transmit antenna
is a waste of time; I never hear the station I'm working on the transmit
antenna unless it's local (US, VE, XE). The Beverages solve the problem but
not in the last few days when condx were gud to eu I heard nothing on the
Beverages either.....
73 N7RT