Re: Topband: Local noise environment

To: <k3ky@erols.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Local noise environment
From: "Brad Rehm" <brehm@ptitest.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:16:27 -0600
On 16 Feb 2004 at 10:52, Brad Rehm wrote:

> I've also built a 1:9 balun and clamped leads from the low-impedance
> end of the balun to legs of transmission towers.  The assumption
here
> is that leakage currents around or across the insulators find their
wa
> ys to ground through the tower legs.  This method is very effective
in
> confirming that there's an insulator failure on a particular tower.
> If you try this, you'd better do it with the consent of the power
> company.  I've been observed suspiciously by locals who thought I
was
> a saboteur.  Got away before the Homeland Security force arrived to
> label me an enemy of the state and ship me to Guantanamo.
>
> Lots of luck finding the source.  Looks as if you're getting good
> advice.
>
> 73,
> Brad, KV5V

"Oh, my- that is probably begging for trouble. Not only does
that technically constitute trespassing, but it would indeed
look very suspicious.

"73, David K3KY"

You're absolutely right.  I don't carry an Uzzi when I do this work,
but I make sure that I have a few business cards and a folder full of
technical papers on transmission line topics.  There's also this
little speech that I've rehearsed....  Most important, I have the
names of several people in the power generation and distribution
companies in the area.

I'd say that as long as you don't touch the towers, pointing antennas
at them shouldn't arouse much concern.  Just don't look as if you're
up to something bad.  It is also a good idea to contact someone at the
power company and talk with them about the problem and what you're
doing.  If you do this, you'll have a reference if the police do show
up.

Here in the Austin area, the Lower Colorado River Authority manages
all of the man-made lakes and power generation facilities.  They have
an excellent web site (www.lcra.org), and they've assigned an engineer
to handle radio and TV interference problems.  You can call him and
get a sympathetic ear.  He can't always help, but he'll cover you if
you go out and make some measurements.  From talking with him, I have
the impression that this isn't too unusual for power distribution
companies.  It's a matter of finding the right person.

73,
Brad, KV5V