Topband: XMT and RCV antenna questions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: XMT and RCV antenna questions
From: David J Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 07:16:41 -0500
Presently, I have a 160m delta loop (apex up) for my transmit antenna. Loop is fed about 30' up one bottom corner and has a 75 ohm coaxial matching transformer. Station has two 140' towers spaced 150' apart but orientation is directly N-S. Some ground radials in ground but very extensive enough for exciting the towers without lots of extra work. Loop is at 140' tied under the 40m yagi. Other antennas on that tower, including an 80m dipole array. Phillystran guys. Antenna oriented SE-NW.

Question: What antenna is most practical and constructable and maintainable at my station considering the physical description? Right now, the loop works has a nice VSWR but is weak on transmit capability. (It is possible there is length of feed line with high loss underground but in winter this is hard to change.) The antenna would need to be good for DX.

Question: How much improvement on 160 would be noted extending a beverage antenna from 475 to 700' or so? In general, I note other stations hear better than I do. For that matter, is a beverage the gold standard of listening antennas or should I be looking at the short loops with tuneable directions hung off one of the phillystran guys on the towers? Yes, I know about terminators, feed transformers and the like.

Thanks, Dave.