Topband: G3XGC on Topband - 1 Watt to an Elecraft K2!

To: topband@contesting.com, elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Topband: G3XGC on Topband - 1 Watt to an Elecraft K2!
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:04:13 +0000
        Around 03z I was listening to Rob PA3GVI on 1827.5
kHz.  I had worked Rob earlier but heard W8JI working him.
Then Geoff G3XGC/QRP called Tom after finishing with Rob.
After Tom finished and moved, I called Rob and Geoff was
still on frequency.  Using 5 watts to his Elecraft K2, Geoff
was a very solid 569!  Rob also went to 5 watts and was 559.
Then Geoff and I moved up 1 kHz from Rob's frequency up and
Geoff further reduced power to 1 watt.  He was a very solid 559!
I also reduced my Orion to 4 watts (lowest mine goes) and
Geoff copied me fine.

        Here's a webpage with some shots of Geoff's setup
including K2, TX and RX antennas:

http://freespace.virgin.net/geoff.cottrell/G3XGC.html

It's hard to imagine 1 Watt making it across the pond from
G3XGC's small city lot (1200 square feet total), but Topband
is full of surprises for the deserving!  I ordered a K2 myself
last week and look forward to some QRP fun in the coming
years as Topband openings like this become more routine.

        For any who think you cannot operate 160 from a
city lot, I hope Geoff is an inspiration for you!

73, Bill W4ZV